Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Resolutions


Once a year staring at the clock becomes a celebration rather than just an indication of counting minutes until the work day is over.

I used to dress up in my finest, fix my hair, make sure my make-up was perfect. This was so I could guarantee that at least once that year I looked my best. I don't do that anymore. As a busy mom I find that kind of effort is cumbersome when you are carrying the little one who has fallen asleep to bed.

Traditionally, today is the day to make resolutions for the changes you hope to make in the new year. I have never quite understood this tradition. People will wait months to make changes because it is not the new year. If you know something needs to change, why wait? Imagine how much benefit one loses waiting for that particular day on the calendar to arrive. Most people declare their resolutions then because they falter in them they beat themselves up about it. So what should be a positive life affirming exercise becomes a stumbling block to them.

Personally, I have given up the traditional new year's resolutions. This doesn't mean that I don't have things that I want to change or improve in my life. It only means that I am not waiting until a specific date to try making those changes. It also means that I know I am human and I will stumble in my efforts. The important thing is to get back up and try again.

I resolve this year to pursue that which makes me a healthier, happier person. I will nourish my soul as well as my body. I will strive not to take life to personally; and find those all too brief moments of joy and treasure them.

Happy New Year's everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment