Thursday, December 30, 2010

Finding One's self

"He who lives in harmony with himself; lives in harmony with the universe." ~Marcus Aurelius

I will admit, I find it difficult to be in harmony with myself. I'm naturally a bit pessimistic. It's a survival tactic......Plan for the worse, hope for the best and maybe you will fall somewhere in the middle.

I tend to focus on what is lacking in life or needs changing; rather than the blessings and joys that are there. I think a lot of people do the same. We as a society are programed to not be satisfied. Media, education, employment, etc.....all of them tell us we should push for the next level, that this may be good, but that is better. We are taught from very young ages that we should always push for the next better thing. And those of us who do not keep pushing are slackers.

While I will not argue that there are slackers in our society; I have learned a very valuable lesson recently. Being satisfied and content with what you have does not make you a slacker. But, it can make you a happier person.

A person who is content with their lot in life shifts there focus from what is lacking to what they already have. Counting one's blessing sounds like such a simple thing, but it can be very profound. That one simple thing can change your entire outlook on life. Unfortunately, it is not as easy as it sounds. I have to remind myself daily of what blessing I have in my life. I am trying to curb my negative thinking by reminding myself that in the big scheme of things I am much more fortunate than many others.

I still get frustrated and angry. I still have things that I wish I had or could do. But, I am finding that my frustration doesn't last as long when I remind myself of the good things in my life. Focusing on what is good and what is here now helps me to find the harmony I found elusive before.

My harmony is living in the here and now; not the past or future. It is focusing on what is here; not what is lacking. There is love, beauty, joy, and contentment to be found in any situation if you are willing to look for it. Just like the morning sunrise pictured at the beginning of this post. I woke up this morning, I am alive, I could walk outside, I could see the brilliant colors of the morning sky, I saw and recognized the beauty of the hand of God, I watched my husband have a still moment admiring the sky with our daughter. It was a beautiful morning.

What are you blessed by?


No comments:

Post a Comment